Flying Deer Nature Center is a wilderness school and community dedicated to mentoring children, adults, and families in deep connection to nature, self, and others.
We guide people of all ages in school and homeschool programs, summer camps, corporate curriculums, rites-of-passage experiences, and adult programs. We facilitate nature immersion, fostering a lifelong relationship with the natural world and an ability to listen deeply to ourselves and to others.
We are committed to widening the circle of nature connection to include people of all cultures, races, ethnicities, religions, and orientations, united in the embrace of the natural world. Our Financial Assistance Fund allows us to welcome participants to our programs regardless of their economic circumstances.
Core Program Elements:
Foraging for wild edibles
Building shelters and crafts from the gifts of the earth
Making fires in all conditions
Identifying bird calls and alarms
Honing our awareness through sensory games
Learning to travel lightly on the earth
Listening to stories and singing songs that inform and inspire Bringing home our own stories of our experiences and adventures!
Time in nature ...
- Supports motor function, brain development, and sensory integration Reduces symptoms of ADHD and ADD
- Increases our physical health and well-being
- Builds emotional, physical, and spiritual resilience
- Has a positive, lasting impact on our independence, leadership, and communication skills
- Improves self-awareness and self-confidence.
— Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder