Flying Deer Nature Center Financial Assistance Policy
FDNC values enrolling children and adults thirsty for nature connections who for financial reasons would not otherwise have the opportunity to participate. We are a close community, and we have created these options to make it possible for all of our family members to participate while we also operate a sustainable program. Toward that end, we have established three financial assistance programs: (1) Sliding Scale (available for summer camp only); (2) Payment Plans; and (3) Scholarship.
1. Sliding Scale (available for summer camp only)
Applicants who are not able to pay the full cost of tuition for our programs (indicated by the highest figure on the tuition range) may pay a lesser amount, down to the lowest figure on the sliding-scale tuition for that program. Applicants are encouraged to pay as much as they can. This program is funded by donations from generous supporters of Flying Deer Nature Center. This option is only available for summer camps.
2. Payment Plan Agreement
Families participating in year-round programs and in financial need may pay the full amount of tuition in four installments to Flying Deer. A signed Payment Plan agreement (link below) must be sent to Flying Deer, 5 Abode Rd., New Lebanon, NY 12125 with first payment before the program begins.
3. Financial Assistance Program
Applicants who are not able to afford the lowest range of the sliding scale may apply for financial assistance of up to 50% of tuition. This program is funded by donations from generous supporters. There is a limit to the number of scholarships available each year. Applicants must file a Scholarship Application (link below).
Financial assistance application and award process:
- Financial assistance applications may be downloaded from our website or requested by postal mail with a self-addressed envelope mailed to our office at 5 Abode Rd., New Lebanon, NY 12125.
- All completed forms received by deadline are sent to the Financial Aid committee, to be reviewed within 2 weeks of application deadline.
- The committee, comprised of FDNC board members, reviews applications according to our financial assistance policy and makes a determination.
- Applicants are sent written notice of award within 3 weeks of application deadline.
4. Designated Group Financial Assistance Program
Applicants who have been targeted by a particular fundraising campaign, e.g., Asian refugees, receive up to a full scholarship. This program is funded by donors who specify that their donations are to be used for these programs. Applicants are referred to Flying Deer for participation and must file a Financial Assistance Application.