Help Us Move Into Our New Home!
For 21 years, Flying Deer Nature Center (FDNC) has offered nature immersion programming for people of all ages. Our summer camps, adolescent rites-of-passage experiences, and homeschool, in-school, after-school, and adult programs have reached more than 5,000 children, teens, and adults.
We all need the benefits of connecting with the natural world and, in like measure, nature needs our care. This deep and reciprocal relationship with the earth is at the heart of our mission.
Evolving from its backyard beginnings, FDNC has been based in New Lebanon, New York, where we have rented beautiful land and office space, and enjoyed a supportive community. However, in the last four years, we have grown quickly in response to the high demand for nature education and connection, doubling both the size of our budget and the number of people we serve. Our dream has been to settle into a place that will ensure our ability to meet the ever-expanding needs of the children and families in our region.
A Dream Come True
Longtime community members Jeanne and David Laskin have donated their cherished historic house and 164 acres of beautiful property—the original Daley Farm, on Daley Road in East Chatham, New York—to FDNC. The Laskins dreamed of handing it over to owners who would love and care for the land as well as they did for the past 25 years, and we are honored to be its next caretakers.
The property is tailor-made for our work, with diverse wildlife habitats, meandering streams, grandmother oak trees, and expansive fields. Here we can fully express the ethic and core values that guide all that we do. We can cultivate groves of old-growth forest, remediate areas choked out by invasive species, and create gathering places for youth, adults, and families.
First, we must make some infrastructure changes, and we need your help. Here is a summary of our anticipated capital costs:
- Landwork, including trail-building, campsites, outhouses, forestry, and other improvements: $22,500
- Creation of a 40-space parking lot and improvements to driveway and road: $50,000
- Upgrades and maintenance of house and office space: $19,500
- Legal fees, survey and site plan, and closing costs: $58,000
- First-year operating expenses, capital improvements, general operations, and administrative support: $51,000
- Establishment of the David Laskin Scholarship Fund: $25,000. In gratitude for the Laskins’ gift, 10 percent of all donations to our Capital Campaign will go toward this Scholarship Fund, to ensure accessibility to our programs and to support expanded outreach to underserved youth.
Our Goal: $226,000
For this big endeavor, we have set a 100% participation goal among our Flying Deer community.
We greatly appreciate your support, and we look forward to welcoming you to our new home!